In this article, you'll find instructions to upgrade to Version 15.0 (Accelerated Search & Security), as well as prerequisites required prior to performing the upgrade. Learn more about the feature enhancements in Version 15.0.
WARNING: If you are using Exchange Web Services, please note that this does not work currently in 15.0. This will be re-implemented in a future release.
This version is compatible with supported browsers Chrome, Firefox, and new Edge (Chromium).
Note: versions of Microsoft IE will encounter layout problems.
Prep for Upgrade
Preparation is key to a successful upgrade. Ensure all of the following items have been checked off before beginning your upgrade.
In the instructions below, we reference to a path that begins with C:\sqbox, if this is not how your webserver is configured, you may see a similar configuration of:
If none of the above paths match your configuration, please open Services on the webserver:
- ElasticSearch location - Right-click on ElasticSearch > click properties > look for path to executable and note this down (this tells you which drive to run the installes.bat on later in the instructions).
- Services/SQBoxServices - Right-click on the SQBoxTaskManager service > click properties > look for the path to executable and note this down for the prep instructions where you'll be replacing files within the services folder.
- Intranet folder location - Open IIS > right-click on the site > click explore to locate the path to the Intranet folder. Up from the Intranet folder level, you'll find the TaskManager folder which will be referenced in the prep instructions to replace the files in the TaskManager\Modules\ folder.
Windows 2012 or 2012R2 and older: If you're on an older server, please review our Software Requirements as our minimum recommendation is to use Windows Server 2016. Contact Support@icthrive.com regarding what migrating to a new server will look like.
Start by reading the Upgrade Process Overview article to understand the entire process.
- Contact Support@icthrive.com to download the 15.0.5 Upgrade file
- Download the current 15.0 patch file (if patches 6+ are available when upgrading)
Confirm the web server has the following minimum Server Specifications for 15.0:
CPU: 1 * Quad Core
- Apply the latest patch for your version to the intranet (14.0 Patches or 14.5 Patches)
- Log onto your web server as a local administrator (Domain Administrator logins do not have enough rights) - disable both User Access Control and Anti-Virus software.
- Move the ICUPG1505_FULL.zip and patch file to the web server
- Right-click the zipped ICUPG1505_FULL.zip folder and select Properties. At the bottom of the properties window check if there is an option for Unblock; if there is, apply the Unblock option
- Unzip the ICUPG1505_FULL.zip folder on the C Drive (e.g.
- IMPORTANT: Please make sure the Upgrade file is extracted on the C Drive, otherwise the upgrade will fail
- Inside the unzipped folder, you'll see 3 files: Services.zip, UPG1505.zip, DataBridgeTask.zip
- Unzip all 3 zip files in the ICUPG1505 folder
- Uninstall the SQBoxServices service - Open the Windows Command Prompt, navigate to the folder with the SQBoxServices.exe file (e.g. c:\sqbox\services) and execute the command: SQBoxServices.exe uninstall
- Delete the contents of the TaskManager\Modules\ folder (default location: c:\sqbox\webroot\TaskManager\Modules\)
On the UPG1505_FULL folder, expand the DataBridgeTask folder and copy the folder (also named DataBridgeTask) and its contents to the TaskManager\Modules folder.
Make sure they are inside a DataBridgeTask Folder: c:\sqbox\webroot\TaskManager\Modules\DataBridgeTask
If done correctly, it should look like this:
- Replace the Services files (default location is c:\sqbox\services) with the ICUPG1505\Services folder contents:
- Install the new SQBoxServices service - Open the Windows Command Prompt again, navigate to the folder with the SQBoxServices.exe file and execute the command: SQBoxServices.exe install
- If this doesn't run hit enter again and you should see the above text once it completes.
Start the new SQBox service - Still in the Windows Command Prompt execute the command: Sqboxservices.exe start
- As with the previous step, you may need to hit enter again if it doesn't display the additional text right away. .
- Take a snapshot of your server if using a VM
Uninstall all hotfixes BEFORE upgrading - (If you just applied the latest patch, skip to Upgrade Process)
The upgrader will show an error message if one or more hotfixes are installed.
- On the Intranet, navigate to Admin > Setup tab
- Click into each hotfix and click Revert Hotfix to uninstall them
Prior to starting your upgrade, back up your intranet database and application files, as outlined in the Upgrade Process Overview article. Do not proceed with your upgrade if you haven't backed up files.
- In the ICUPG1505 folder, open the InstallDetails.txt
- Copy the content of InstallDetails.txt to your clipboard. This script will be used to extract configuration information from your intranet to perform the migration.
- If you've changed your Lucee administrator password from the default, update it in in text file as shown below
- On your Intranet, go to the Admin area > Setup tab.
- In the Settings section under Extensions, click Execute Custom Code (note: you must be logged in as a Super Admin to see this option).
- Paste into the message box area of the execute custom code box and click Execute. Your browser will download an XML file containing the configuration details of your intranet.
- Note: If you have hotfixes installed, you will see this warning message:
- Save this file and place it on your web server in the ICUPG1505\config folder
- Right-click the start.bat file located in the ICUPG1505 folder and click Run as administrator.
- At the “Uninstalling Lucee” step, you will be prompted with the following options:
- Click ‘Yes’ to confirm the removal of the old Lucee version
- Next, you'll see "Source Upgrade 15.0 finished successfully!"
- Press any key to close the window - Next, you'll install Elasticsearch 6.6.2
- IMPORTANT You must close the upgrader window BEFORE installing Elasticsearch to update environmental components
- Right-click the installes.bat file located in the ICUPG1505 folder and click Run as administrator.
IMPORTANT: If your Elasticsearch is installed on a drive other than C, copy the installes.bat file to that drive before running it.
- In your intranet's Admin area, look on the Setup tab to verify you're now on Version 15.0.5
- Install latest 15.0 patch (applicable if patch 6+ are available)
- Copy the patch zip file into the ../intranet/updates folder
- Right-click > properties > unblock file
- Remove the Announcements and updates XML files from this folder:
- Import new IC Thrive web services certificate ws.icthrive.com into Lucee server
If you use http://intranet.mycompany.com to access the intranet, your URL for the console needs to be HTTP://intranet.mycompany.com/lucee/admin/server.cfm)
If you use http://mycompany.com/intranet to access the intranet, your URL for the console needs to be HTTP://mycompany.com/lucee/admin/server.cfm
If you access the console on the webserver itself, you can also use the server name in place of the intranet URL: HTTP://yourservername/lucee/admin/server.cfm
Click “SSL Certificates” in the left menu
Type in ws.icthrive.com into the Host field and 443 into the Port field
Reboot web server
On the intranet, navigate to Admin > Setup tab > click Site Search from the top of the Setup tab screen
Adjust Search Indexing Configuration settings as desired and save/run to kick-off the indexing process
Note: The system needs to run full indexing for the first time so you are able to search items in your intranet with the new Elasticsearch version
Once your site has been indexed, you should see something similar to the screen below:
- On the web server, set the User Account Control setting back to its previous level, and enable the anti-virus software.
- Delete the temporary folder ICUPG1505 on the web server.
- Adjust the memory settings for Lucee and ElasticSearch
- Ensure your scheduled tasks are running (Admin > Scheduled Tasks). System Tasks should be enabled, Web Services should be enabled unless this is a development environment, and Active Directory Sync should only be enabled if you are using AD Sync.
- Ensure that when you hover over the Admin icon and click the Stats link that the stats page opens.
- The day after upgrading, ensure that data shows on the stats page.
Error using Search
If you encounter this error when searching on your intranet:
Locate the web.config file on your webserver (usually found in the Intranet folder, or one level up) and remove the line <clear /> as shown below:
Save the file and try to search once more.
Issues finding items or errors with ElasticSearch - Reinstall ElasticSearch
Locate the ElasticSearch installation folder by opening Services > right-click on “Elasticsearch 6.6.2” > click “Properties” > copy path listed under “Patch to executable:”
In the Windows Command Prompt, navigate to the Elasticsearch folder (i.e.: C:\sqbox\elasticsearch\bin\) and execute the commands:
Should you encounter any additional issues, contact email@example.com for assistance.